Day 112

So the "Greve dos Caminheiros" (trucker strike) is already over. Nobody really knew how long it would last because nothing like this has ever happened within decades.


Everything is back to normal, and an endless flow of freight trucks is carrying out Itaqui rice to who knows where. For a while, at the grocery stores the entire produce sections were just crates of limes.


Thankfully the bananas, oranges, apples, etc. have shown up again. All of our appointments for lunches at members´ houses still came through, which is great.


This transfer ends next week, when I'll get a new missionary companion; my current, Elder Gonçalo, now has spent 7 months total in the same little town. He's excited to see his 5th mission city wherever that may be. President Louza told him to "keep his suitcase ready", but that *could* just mean moving rooms, because we split the city with two other elders... Very, very probably, he'll get to leave.


As for me, the longest a missionary can stay in his first area is 6 months, so it's at maximum a few more transfers. Other extreme, I could be packing up in 7 more days. I'd be happy to stay here a bit longer.


My Portuguese continues to develop. At our most recent Zone Conference, or group meeting with the mission president (this time just 10 missionaries + Elder and Sister Louza) I happily noticed how much more I could communicate, but more importantly, the extent that I could share ideas sincerely.


There were a few moments in the past few months when things just start to click. Various weaknesses in language fade, and my language more closely resembles that of the people here. These moments must pass subconsciously, and are hardly noticed until looking back.


Looking back also reveals how much hilariously worse my grammar was in the first few weeks than my now mediocre level. Getting less totally confused looks than I used to, but they still happen plenty.

Until next time,
E. Hopkinson

smith.hopkinson@myldsmail.net





Comments

Popular Posts