Writing for a few minutes before I´m kicked out of the computer lab


I’ve settled in easily here. The schedule here is particular but manageable.


At almost two weeks in, I can give simple testimonies and prayers with basic competence. Not much else. Also some small talk, questions about times, places, names, etc. Not much else. I can get my exact point across maybe a fourth of the time (and improving).


Here’s a quick summary of events (whatever hasn’t been lost in the blur):


We arrived just in time for a lengthy devotional from the MTC president (a local with a good sense of humor, always straight-faced) to the missionaries already here:


- don’t hang out of windows and pass notes
- don't throw food out of windows
- clean your rooms
- don’t be stupid
- etc.


We were almost immediately assigned a room, mine on the 5th floor. Unpacked quickly and received our schedule for the day (mostly free time).


From then on, a solid routine every day. They move fast. Language learning is everything. I find book learning about half as useful as just speaking, but it needs to be there. By day three, we began teaching lessons to instructors playing as investigators, all in Portuguese, before being directly exposed to basic components like the alphabet, accent mechanics, pronouns, etc.


I'm leaving out a lot, but the general idea is that it’s different from every method of teaching I've ever witnessed, but it works.


Food is great as expected.


Rice and beans are a component in *almost every* meal, as are chicken, pork, and beef cuts of every kind. For whatever reason, eggs are rare, though we've had them and according to the locals, aren’t much of a common meal (shame).


The brasileiros/as are good natured and eager to help.


At the MTC here we have:


- Brazilians (portuguese) going to other South American countries and learning spanish in 3 weeks.


- Brazilians going to Japan and learning Japanese for 9(?) weeks. Everyone agrees that these are the most impressive people here. They´re all either especially intelligent or dedicated (more likely both). Between Japan and Brazil are pockets of each other´s culture in both countries.


- Americans learning Portuguese for 6 weeks (me).


- Portuguese, Americans who already know the language and leave in three weeks.


My view from the window stretches far until it all turns into a haze. While I've been here, most days have been overcast. We've seen the sun a few times, which I'm fine with for now.


I see the entire range of city lifestyles in Brazil from my window. Across the street are garage-like houses from one to three stories. Strangely vacant (or apparently so) until the night time, when I’m able to watch the locals stand and talk while scooters and hatchbacks fly by. The houses immediately neighbor groceries, mechanics (two on the same block, together they probably can barely manage the demand), and so forth.


A mini-economy revolves around the missionaries. The shop owners know their audience: they sell branded items at American prices (in reals) but also sell nondescript items for cheap. The visiting Americans all buy football jerseys as a show of community spirit. I guess I’ll do the same tonight. I’m sure the owner of that shop also appreciates it.


Farther behind are much taller apartment buildings, red, and every single set of blinds in tatters. The disrepair is more visible during the day time. I am sure it’s inhabited. Lights come on and off throughout the night. Looks like an interesting place.


To the west is the city. At night, it’s almost a second sun. The immediate area around the MTC seems like a suburb, but brazilians say we’re in the center of Sao Paulo. I might not be fully comprehending what they mean.


I’m doing well, learning a lot, and having fun while doing it.


In Philippians 4 Paul mentions being content in whatsoever state he found himself in, knowing a constant, unending source of help existed. Paul says it more eloquently. I’m still trying to find the quotation mark key on the Brazilian keyboard.


I’m sure you can find it... Anyway, I try to live according to that principle.


I’ll send pictures in about 5 more weeks, and write again next Friday.


Out until then. Computer staff are antsy, I’ll take it easy on them (kidding, not my choice).


Love,
Elder Hopkinson
smith.hopkinson@myldsmail.net







Comments

Popular Posts