Elder Hopkinson's 1st day in Brazil

I’m here safely, and the trip went smoothly. Only one other missionary from AZ, but we found several more in Atlanta. I was able to exchange 50 USD at the Sao Paulo airport.


I’m able to write a bit more than I expected. We have quite a bit of free time today after our flight. I know I had my eyes closed for a good part of it but I’m not sure if any of it was actual sleep. So we’ll be making up for that today.


The drive into town is impressive. The jungle flanks both sides of the wide highway, and at some points you can see straight ahead far enough that you’re almost looking into the city. Today was very overcast, and the distant overlapping rows of obelisk apartment buildings and factories reminded me of a landscape from the old Blade Runner.


Drivers here are very... confident? Getting up within a foot or two of other vehicles seems totally normal. Our shuttle driver used both lanes on the smaller streets. There was a lot of other interesting behavior.


Anyway, we made it to the MTC in one piece. It’s something of a fortress. From the outside, it’s nondescript, or at least I didn’t manage to find the sign from the outside. The driver pulled into the courtyard, surrounded by a large metal gate with a guard shack. Needless to say, I think we all feel very secure.


It’s interesting to see the contrast outside. Graffiti is on every surface, and people keep their cars behind something like a jail cell/garage. I’ll give more details later.


For now, know I’m where I need to be and excited to start.


P.S. I’ll have the chance to send you the pictures taken while in the MTC after arrival in Santa Maria. They’ll take good care of me until then.


Love, Spencer
smith.hopkinson@myldsmail.net



Comments

Popular Posts