Day 175

Took a trip to São Borja, about 1.5 hours away overnight for divisions. Missionaries don't have vacations, but out-of-city divisions feel like them. Of course, you still work to your fullest, but instead you're relying on the other missionary's planning and knowledge of the area. Naturally, the other way around, divisions in your own city with a visitor, are more intense. On the other hand, everything routine feels within ability at this point, if not actually easy.


When I got back to Itaqui, my companion and I planned the day, and walked right back to the intercity bus station for some work there, until then, an unexplored area for us. Walked up to someone sitting out on the front lawn behind their gate. We offered a card with contact information and a picture of Jesus Christ on the other side, which she took, and without a word immediately ripped it into pieces! We said "bom dia" and moved on. By the way, it was a bearded lady.


We went to the river again, watched the ferries bringing across people and freight trucks. In the city itself on a certain crossroad, the one closest to our apartment, they’re usually street performers from Argentina using bowling pins and flaming machetes and such. Who knows why they chose Itaqui, but here they are. Probably just the closest city in Brasil from across the river.


We found what we call an "incomplete family", in the sense that some members of that family have been baptized, others not. It was an address that we had from long before we personally got to the area, but we finally contacted them this week. The mother is a member, with two daughters, 11 and 8 years old, who haven't been baptized. Neither the husband, who we met once and has a smoking problem. Thankfully, the parents are totally open to the daughters choosing to be baptised, which means we'll be teaching all of the lessons for them in the next few weeks.


Everyday, my improvements in Portuguese surprise me. Phrases and words whose meaning was totally obscure, are now clear. With diligent study, I will continue to improve.


I am studying the life of Jesus Christ via the Testimonies of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. What a wonderful example! Each time reading this, I recognize new similarities with experiences in the Book of Mormon. My love for the scriptures continues to grow day by day.


I have noticed that my personal love for the scriptures, and the merits of study are amplified when studying with a person or a need in mind. A concept that seems complicated or difficult to explain at first.


I believe that this process happens because God gives gifts for specific reason: to lead every human being, as much as possible, the opportunity to accept the Gospel. I need to recognize every day that there’s a purpose greater than myself.


I am grateful that I have, and will continue to have opportunities to see clearly what positive changes missionary work can make in the lives of others.


I have hope and a sincere desire to be of help as much as possible to all: members, investigators, less active, and contacts.


Trying to get a few photos\videos over but there's some technical difficulties here...


If not today, they'll be in next week's.


Love,

Elder Hopkinson
smith.hopkinson@myldsmail.net



River Uruguay, border between Argentina and Brasil





Comments

Popular Posts