Day 49, Elder "Hobisone"

Eu sou "Americano camuflado", or so my companion E. Gonçalo says. Everybody assumes on sight that I'm a brasileiro, until they hear me speak. Afterwards, they either figure me out as a foreigner or think I'm from São Paulo (the accent they teach there at the CTM is different).


I'm the only American here, and so only ever speak Portuguese.


Nice to be in the "real world" again, the days move even faster, and so does my progress with the language. Still not enough to watch Conference in Portuguese (was able to watch three out of four sessions in English).


A few bad notes upon arrival:


First, I only unpacked my suitcases once in Itaqui, and discovered some missing items. Down some clothing, outlet adaptors, flip flops, and my camera charger. Probably all replaceable, but still an inconvenience. Anyway, my MTC district took plenty of photos, and I'll have those soon now that we're all settled.


Second, was sick for the first 5 days in Itaqui, almost completely recovered now.


Other than these, I have nothing serious to complain about. My companion has a photographic memory, and knows every member, investigator, address, date, appointment, process (etc.) on the spot. Planning goes rapidly.


Between lessons/meals, we spend a lot of time walking and waiting, plenty to talk, think, plan. Again, above all, walking, waiting, watching too. The far outskirts are a lot like a little Wyoming town, so much that it actually brings back memories. The houses are more spare, some don't have doors (but everyone has an outer gate). There's also horses, ponies, dogs, cats, etc. wandering everywhere, who knows which have owners. The people are gauchos, cowboys. Saw a 3/4/5(?) year old riding around his own pony, and other horse riders are a common sight.


The people themselves are fantastic. We have one scheduled meal per day, and every one so far has been great. As for the other meals, mostly snacks hoarded at the MTC, but I'm going to fix that today. We live closer to the city center so the stores are within arm's reach.


There's a central road always brimming with traffic (compared to the rest of the city). Reminds me of Mesa's Main Street. Can probably get everything I could need for the next few months right here.


Most interesting lesson this week was with A_____, a *strong* Catholic still willing to be taught (this was the second time, first with different missionaries). After introductions he read from the "Book of Wisdom" (Livro da Sabedoria), which is found in the Catholic Bible. His general gist was that no church can know perfectly of the truth, and so faith and salvation are solely personal. We discussed the Plan of Salvation, and his doubts/observations for a long time, 2 hours or so.


My companion and our accompanying member did the majority of the talking, but halfway through the lesson he just turned and asked me to continue. I think most of what I said made sense, though he had questions that would be difficult to answer even in English. He's still interested in meeting again, and we'll do that this week.


I'll be going on a divisions trip on Thursday, companions with an American elder in a much bigger city, São Boria, looking forward to it.


One small disappointment has been my room's window: back in São Paulo I had the city in view every night. Now my window faces an outside wall, and  all other apartment windows face the parking lot walls!


That, if anything, should tell you how minor my problems are right now. I'm where I want to be. Every new day is better.


Be writing again on Day 56, until then,


Love,
Elder Hopkinson


P.S. feel free to send more pictures/videos, sorry I haven't been able to yet.


Email:   smith.hopkinson@myldsmail.net











Comments

Popular Posts