Day 25

2 weeks left at the MTC. After writing this, we'll step outside the gates and explore some more for a few hours.

Temple again this morning, just got back and made into the cafeteria just as the staff were ending the meal period. Lucky to have been in the first session for MTC guests at the temple, all of the second session will either skip lunch or buy it outside.

Last saturday the MTC took us out proselyting in downtown Sao Paulo. Very metropolitan. Busy, wide roads, pedestrian stop/go signs mostly a suggestion. Green is go, red is look (maybe) and go. Again, no visible accidents today.

We talked to passersby, lots of interesting characters, most unhappy, busy, or both. I think it has more to do with the universal city attitude than Brasil itself. On the other hand, walking outside the MTC we (me and my companion) aren't worth a response. I have a feeling that to the people nearby, missionaries have just become a background scenery.

Naturally, the sisters have much better luck everywhere. We thought we had found luck in the city while talking to a friendly older couple until we realized they were members. Every single other person we talked with was eager to leave or not interested enough to respond at all. We talked to two men sitting by the road, and they quickly realized they had to go. Not that they told us, one just tapped his watch, then they left to another side-of-the-street somewhere else in Sao Paulo...

Our handlers told us we had about a 5-block radius straight down the center road on both sides. That's quite a bit of walking. I'm impressed that nobody's been lost yet. At least I haven't heard.

We ended that day with zero contacts (as expected). However, 2 sisters in my district managed to find their "miracle investigator" before leaving for the field. In their words, he:

- was just thinking about God
- was pleasantly surprised to find two people approach him about that same topic
- has already heard about the Church
- wants to meet more missionaries in the future in order to learn more
- spoke functional english, which helped a lot
- had headphones in (like many people on the sidewalk) but took them out and stopped to talk to them

We're going again next Saturday, the same exact area as well. As far as my companionship, we expect only a few contacts (with written personal contact information) at most. That's usual for most.

Last Friday, I ordered a "cheddar" cheeseburger from a corner restaurant near the MTC. I discovered a burger topped with some sort of swiss cheese, and *inside* that cheese, in the only way I can describe it, was yellow spray cheese. Think of a near empty balloon and replace the empty space with spray cheese, and the balloon itself is also cheese. The cheese balloon is on a thin beef patty. The sandwich is completed by two dry, featureless burger buns. I took a few bites, not worth it. Did get pictures though, truly amazing.

We had been recommended to get burgers from the food truck across the street but thought this was a miscommunication, since it looks like the truck only serves ice cream and such. This week, we'll make up for it by going there.

The locals tell me I look like a Brasilian (so do a lot of the Americans). If it weren't for my companion always by me (a very obviously American gymnast from Utah) even more people would approach me assuming I'm fluent. I can manage passable conversation, including a lot of "repetir novamente" (repeat again). Within 6 months, I'll be able to play the part fully.

Until then, I'll keep having a good time and working hard. Checking in next week.

love,
Elder Hopkinson

Comments

Popular Posts